Strategic Plan efforts are moving from concept to reality as teams of faculty and staff move the approved concepts forward as real action items. The strategic plan, Shaping Our Future, was adopted by the college in 2012 and according to Julie Morrison, executive director of Institutional Effectiveness, Planning and Accreditation, the priorities are moving from concepts to reality.
“A tremendous amount of work is taking place, involving cross functional teams from across the college,” Morrison said. “It is exciting to see the ideas come to fruition, and many are moving even faster than we thought they would. These initiatives are shaping the WCC of the future.”
Some the work that has been done includes:
- A professional development process for all employees has been put in place to ensure recognition for completing activities. Training sessions began in November 2013.
- 13 unique initiatives were funded through the college’s strategic fund for faculty initiatives, ranging from projects connected to technology in the classroom to new curriculum ideas, plans for social media, and above-and-beyond training.
- An online portal for students with a single sign-on to access services, email, Banner, and Blackboard, which will roll out this month.
- Alternative delivery through distance learning has been expanded and encouraged through joining the MCCVLC and development of DL course/degree packaging.
- Initial steps for an Entrepreneurship Center to support students have been made, including determining space needs, budget, and initial programming plans.
Editor’s Note: A complete update on each Strategic Priority was shared by President Bellanca in an email to all faculty and staff last month. Watch for more detailed updates on specific projects in future editions of On the Record.