The 2016 Washtenaw Community College commencement ceremony was a joyous celebration as hundreds of graduates crossed the stage to accept their well-deserved degrees and certificates.
Held on May 21 at the Eastern Michigan University Convocation Center, the ceremony brought together WCC faculty, staff, Board of Trustee members, administrators, friends and family members of the graduates to honor the academic achievements of the WCC students.
Students heard congratulatory words and inspirational messages from WCC President Dr. Rose B. Bellanca, WCC faculty member Dr. Rosemary A. Rader and WCC student graduate Ashley Davis.
Congresswoman Debbie Dingell was bestowed the WCC Honorary Associate Degree for Community Service.
“The education you received at WCC will put you on the path for future success,” said Dingell. She encouraged the students to engage in their communities, create personal relationships and take the time to give back. (See related story here.)
WCC graduate Lanathus Tooson, who received an associate’s degree in Supply Chain Management, said he was most excited to set an example for his 3-year-old son by pursuing his degree. “I’m excited to show him the right path to success,” he said.
- The mortarboard of a non-traditional student.
- Congresswoman Debbie Dingell addresses the graduates.
- Ashley Jones waves to family in the audience.
- Melvin Dillard (right) is congratulated by WCC President Rose B. Bellanca as Linda Blakey, vice president for student and academic services, looks on.
- Marc Hawkins waves to family in the audience.
- Abby Foster holds up her diploma holder as she leaves the arena.
- A row of graduates watch the ceremony.
- Shayna Chauncey uses her cell phone camera to make sure her mortarboad is straight.
- Devin Daily flashes “I love you” in sign language to her family in the audience.
- Fatimah Almuid smiles as she carries her diploma holder back to her seat.
By Susan Ferraro, APR
Director of Media Relations